Delicious Persimmon Bars


 

I have a persimmon tree in my front yard but I am not a fan of persimmons.  I know some people eat them right off the tree but I really don't care for the taste or texture of them.  One day I decided I was going to try and find something to do with all these persimmons I had.  I found this recipe for persimmon bars and they are so good.  Now I collect the pulp from the persimmons and freeze it so I have persimmon bars all year around.  They are so good and my family loves them.


Persimmon Bars

1 cup persimmon pulp
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg beaten
1 cup white sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease a 10 x 15 inch jelly roll pan.

In a small bowl, stir together persimmon pulp and baking soda; set aside.

In a separate bowl, mix together egg, white sugar, and vegetable oil.

In a large bowl, stir together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and cloves.  Stir persimmon mixture and egg mixture into dry ingredients. 

Fold in walnuts.  Spread batter into prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 20 mins.  Meanwhile, combine confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice.  Stir until sugar is dissolved.  Remove bars from oven and spread with glaze.



To make a “no-added sugar” version of this recipe I substitute the 1 cup of white sugar with ¾ cup honey.  Which adds more liquid to the recipe so you need to reduce other liquids by ½ cup.  I reduce the vegetable oil  from ½ cup to ¼ cup and reduce the persimmon pulp from 1 cup to ¾ cup.  You can either eat it without any topping of lightly sprinkle confectioners’  sugar on top of the bars.  

Comments