Sun Spot Treatment

I just had my first IPL
(Intense Pulse Light) treatment for sun spots on my face.  I was able to get a great deal through Groupon and I have noticed more spots popping up on my face so I decided to give it a try.  I wasn't sure what to expect, I had never talked to anyone who had had an IPL before.  First they have you come in for a consultation where they explained what would happen during the treatment and what type of results I could expect.  I was told the zap of the light would feel like a rubber band snapping on my face, it would be red and possibly swollen afterwards, the dark spots would actually get worse before they got better.  The IPL draws the dark spots up to the surface of the skin making them even darker, giving your skin a little bit of a coffee grinds look then the dark spots will flake off.

I have to say the treatment itself was kind of painful.  When they said if felt like a rubber band snapping against your face they meant someone seriously pulling back a rubber band and snapping you.  I think I jumped and winced every time that light went off.  You can also feel the heat from the light as well.  They do have a numbing gel you can use to numb your face so it is less painful so if I ever do it again I will probably opt for the gel.

My face wasn't too bad afterwards, a little hot and a few welts and only a few coffee grind spots but several of the sun spots were much darker.  So we will see how it looks in several days when the skin starts flaking off.  Hopefully after one treatment I will see good results, in some cases you have to have 2 or 3 treatments.

Whether I recommend the treatment or not is yet to be seen.  I will keep you posted on my results.

Comments